Coffee at its finest for over 75 years

Our Coffee

Ipanema Estate - Gourmet RFA

Country: Brazil

Name: Gourmet

Region/estates:

  • Fazenda Capoeirinha
  • Fazenda Rio Verde
  • Fazenda Conquista

Screen size/grade: SCR 14 plus

Bean appearance: Greenish/blue, round and clean

Varietal/species: Acaiá, Mundo Novo, Red Rubi as well as the exceptional Yellow Bourbon, Yellow Catuaí, Topázio and Yellow Icatu

Process: Pulp natural of fully ripe cherries

Aroma: Cedar

Acidity: Medium

Body: Medium

Flavour: Pronounced sweetness reminiscent of fresh chestnuts

Altitude:

  • Fazenda Rio Verde 800-1,350m; 
  • Conquista 780-850m;
  • Rio Verde 800-1,350m

Bag size: 30 kg Grain pro-lined

Harvest period: April-September

Certification: The Ipanema range is all certified Rainforest Alliance

 

Fazenda Capoeirinha: Alfenas

Located in the region of Sul de Minas, in the municipality of Alfenas, the Fazenda Capoeirinha was the first property acquired by Ipanema in 1969. Of its 2,200ha of land, 70% is used for producing coffee, while the remaining 30% comprises preservation and protected forest areas. This farm produced the two lots that won the Annual Quality Contest of the Rainforest Alliance in 2009 and 2010.

Resting on metamorphic rock, the soils are argillaceous, formed from crystalline-based rocks, rich in decomposable minerals, which have a great capacity to retain water.

The region is characterized by a mild subtropical climate, with rainy summers and dry winters, favourable for the cultivation of coffee. Temperatures range from 24ºC in the summer to around 18ºC in the winter, but can fall below freezing during severe winters. Average annual rainfall is about 1,440mm.

The estate has coffee plantations at altitudes between 780 and 950m. Cultivars descended from the "Bourbon" are produced at altitudes above 900m.

Fazenda Capoeirinha has 290ha irrigated by a drip system, which is considered to be the most economical in terms of water use per hectare.

Arabica coffees of the cultivars Acaiá, Yellow Bourbon, Mundo Novo and, on a smaller scale, Yellow Catuaí, Red Rubi and Yellow Icatu are grown on the estate.

Fazenda Rio Verde: Conceição do Rio Verde

Located in the middle of the Mantiqueira mountain range, the Fazenda Rio Verde, which has been in existence for over 100 years, is surrounded by virgin forest and has many waterfalls and beautiful hiking trails. This estate is a true natural sanctuary, where coffee occupies just over 40% of the total area.

The soil is predominantly argillaceous, with red oxisols, rich in decomposable material. On the mountain slopes, the diversity of vegetation has given these soils an unequalled richness in terms of nutrients and organic material.

The mountainous region has its own microclimate. With mild temperatures, which range from 18 to 23ºC the estate has an average annual rainfall higher than 1,600mm. During winter, temperatures occasionally fall before freezing in low-lying areas.

The Fazenda Rio Verde has the most rugged terrain among the farms that comprise Ipanema. Ranging from 800 to 1,350m in altitude, almost all farm operations must be conducted by hand.

Another characteristic of this topography are the different amounts of sunlight that each area receives. This creates a large number of "terroirs" which create cup characteristics that are completely different from each other.

The rugged terrain of the Fazenda Rio Verde prevents the use of irrigation. However, the rainfall regime is the highest among all the company's farms.

Arabica coffees of the cultivars Acaiá, Mundo Novo, Red Rubi as well as the exceptional Yellow Bourbon, Yellow Catuaí and Yellow Icatu are grown on the estate.

Fazenda Conquista: Alfenas

Located on the shores of the Furnas Lake, in the municipality of Alfenas, this farm has the perfect microclimate for protection against low temperatures.

Considered to be one of the largest farms in the world, in terms of contiguous area, the Fazenda Conquista uses 79% of its 1,800ha for the cultivation of coffee, while the remaining 21% comprises preservation and protected forest areas.

Resting on metamorphic rocks, its soils contain silt and clay, which are rich in decomposable minerals and have a great capacity to retain water.

The climate in the mild subtropical region provides ideal conditions for ripening coffee. The proximity to the lake provides the entire estate with a unique microclimate, constituting a natural protection against the low temperatures that are common in harsh winters. The farm receives regular rains during the summer, with average annual rainfall around 1,370mm. The average temperature in the summer is around 25ºC.

The Fazenda Conquista has 450ha irrigated by a drip system, which guarantees the lowest rate of water consumption per hectare.

Arabica coffees of the cultivars Acaiá, Mundo Novo and, on a smaller scale, Yellow Catuaí, Red Rubi and Topázio, are grown on this estate.

Website by Chris Evans Ltd.